Dome Restrictions and Refunds

Sadly it now looks unlikely that indoor tennis for members of different households will be permitted to take place for some considerable time and possibly not before the dome has to be taken down at the end of March.

This is obviously tremendously disappointing as, after all the hard work to get it installed, we have been unable to reap the benefits of indoor tennis apart from a few weeks in October.

The lack of income will also substantially affect our finances and we have been unable to get any ‘Covid relief’ despite contacting our local MP, the LTA, Sport England and Fylde Borough Council.

Regrettably we now think that the best thing to do is to refund all the unused block booking fees which have been carried forward and if and when it becomes possible to play indoors in the next 3 months, ask members to then book in the normal way via Clubspark. Thanks to those of you who have agreed to waive the refunds to help our finances.

Accordingly if you have pre booked for the first 3 months of the year you will receive a text/email over the next week or so advising you of the amount which is calculated to be due to you as a refund. If you could respond with your bank details then a refund will be made to the lead person who made the booking.

Happy New Year

LTC Committee



Covid 19 Restrictions – Update

The Government have now indicated that they will not be allowing outdoor tennis courts to open in England during the period of the new national restrictions that come into force from Thursday 5 November.

Regrettably this means that unless there is a change of heart all our courts will be closed from Wednesday night and all tennis is prohibited.

This is obviously a blow to all of us but hopefully the 4 week lockdown will reduce the impact of coronavirus and we will be able to resume playing the game we love.

Stay safe


LTC Committee

Notification of 2020 Annual General Meeting

The AGM is scheduled to be held on Wednesday 25 November in the Clubhouse.  However, owing to the ongoing coronavirus restrictions this will not be possible because of course the Clubhouse is now closed and even if it re-opens before the 25 November it is almost certain that we will not be allowed to hold a meeting of more than 30.


Therefore, this year it has been decided that the meeting should be held via email and on the following page you will find a draft agenda for your consideration.


The various reports and Committee proposals regarding the Accounts and next year’s Committee will be sent out in the week commencing 3 November but prior to that we need to know if there are any specific resolutions that the members wish to place for new Committee members, or any other matters under AOB.  These will of course need to be proposed and seconded in the normal way, by either full or daytime Senior members and we ask that these are sent to the Secretary on or before Sunday 31 October so that they can be forwarded to the members, together with the firm agenda and reports, during the following week.


This will then give all the members an opportunity to consider any proposals and/or ask for further information prior to voting by email on or before Tuesday 24 November following which any votes will be counted and the results made known via ‘Virtual AGM minutes’.


We realise that this is not an ideal situation but we are following the procedures adopted by other Clubs and Organisations when holding their General Meetings.



LTC Committee




Lytham Tennis Club

2020 Annual General Meeting to be held via email



1*Apologies –  As all eligible members will be notified of the proceedings and have an opportunity to raise matters and vote it will be assumed that there are no apologies.


2*Minutes of the AGM held on 21 November 2019 – These are available on the website in the members section and members will be asked to confirm that they represent a true and fair account of proceedings.


3*Matters arising from that meeting – The only significant matters discussed related to confirmation that we should continue with the dome project and that the Committee be empowered to borrow up to £50,000 for this purpose.  This will be dealt with in the body of the meeting.


4*Chairman’s Report – to be forwarded to the members w/c 3 November.


5*Treasurers Report – Accounts and comments thereon will be available for the members during the week commencing 3 November.  The members will be asked to confirm that the Accounts to 30 September 2020 are adopted.


6*Re-election of the Auditors -the members will be asked to confirm a vote of thanks to Rushtons Accountants and to re-elect them as Auditors for the next 12 months.


7*Committee Reports – these will be forwarded to the members w/c 3 November.


8*Election of Club Chairman – Nominations for the position of Club Chairman should be sent to the Club Secretary by Sunday 31 October.


9*Election of club Officials – Proposals should be sent to the Club Secretary.  A list of all Committee nominations will be sent to the members w/c 3 November.


10*Presentation of Trophies – (a) Most improved player of the year- decided by the Club Captains (b) Club Member of the Year – decided by the Club Chairman.


11*Any other business – Any matters which the members wish to raise which would not normally be dealt with by the Committee should be forwarded to the Secretary by 31 October.  If specific propositions are being made then they should be seconded and it would be helpful if an explanatory note could be attached which could then be forwarded to the members for their consideration prior to a vote.  The Committee may wish to add their own comments about any such proposals.


Block bookings and the Dome 


The Committee reviewed and discussed in great detail the question of block bookings at their virtual October meeting and wish the members to be aware of the intended system regarding block bookings for the 12 weeks starting in January 2021.



Some background information


The income from advance block bookings is expected to raise approximately 75% of the total booking income for the Dome.


Casual bookings tend to be made less than 48 hours ahead when the weather is inclement, or forecast to be so, and when it is fine the number of casual bookings is of course much reduced.  Currently bookings have had to be substantially curtailed because of the coronavirus regulations.


More than ever the Club needs regular income from the Dome to meet the current expenses, put an amount into a Sinking Fund for the future and also provide some additional income to help repay the loans which enabled the Dome to be built.


Block bookings give the participants comfort that they can play at the same time each week and so they are able to arrange their diaries accordingly.  From the Club’s point of view it means that we have guaranteed income regardless of the weather conditions.


Last February a cross section of playing members formed a sub Committee led by the Chairman to discuss the parameters that should be used for booking the dome.  A number of meetings were held and one of the matters agreed was that block booking should be allowed, initially for a 12-week period, with the option of renewing for a further 12 week period.  This was endorsed by the Committee and notified to the members in the March 2020 Newsletter


Block bookings for up to 3 months will be allowed and later in the Summer members will be asked to register their requirements. These will be assessed prior to the bookings being confirmed subject to duplications etc. It is likely that those who have block booked for 3 months will have priority for the next 3 months.


In September every member was then given an opportunity to submit their block booking requirements and alternative preferences.  There were a few duplications and in those instances members were asked if they could change their preference – where that was not possible and as had been previously advised, a draw was held to allocate booking times.


The Committee appreciate that one or two members may have been disappointed by what happened but we think it inevitable that whatever system was employed this was likely to be the case.



The continuation of block bookings


And so, prior to the latest coronavirus restrictions the Committee decided that as originally planned, those with current block bookings would be asked at the end of November if they wished to renew them in the New Year.  If they were happy to do so then they would be asked to pay within 10 days to confirm their reservations.  These booking must be for the same days and identical times as the original bookings.


Once these booking were put onto the booking system all other members would be asked if they wished to block book other times outside those already pre booked. These would have to be for the set times as originally laid out in September.  Once these times were confirmed and paid for then they too would be entered onto the booking system.  As before if there were any clashes, we would do what we could to resolve them by negotiation and if that is not possible then by a draw.


In the New Year all casual times could be booked for whatever length of time members chose up to 2 hours, without having to stick to the 90 minute slots in the evenings.



The decision post the coronavirus shut down


We believe it is now even more equitable that those who have paid for bookings which they are unable to use, should be given the opportunity to renew their booking into the second half of the winter and that the amounts they have paid for those weeks in which they have been unable to play should be taken into account when calculating the amounts due for the second batch of 12 weeks.


Consequently, they will all be contacted at the end of November when they can either agree to renew with the relevant amount deducted or decide not to renew in which case any amounts due will be repaid.


Once this part of the process is complete the rest of the members will be asked if they wish to block book as outlined above.



September 2021


Before the Dome is re-erected in September 2021 the booking process, time slots and charges will be reviewed with the intention of giving all members an equal opportunity to block book with no preference given to those who have pre booked this year.


Covid/Dome Urgent Update for Members

The LTA have now updated the regulations in force for Clubs in Tier 2 areas. Fylde is at present in Tier 2.


Tennis in the Dome


With immediate effect indoor tennis is prohibited in the Dome except for the following :

1* Singles and doubles involving members of the same household.

2* Coaching involving Greg and one individual or Greg and members of the same household.

3* Group coaching for Under 18’s.

Spectators are not allowed in the Dome at any time


Outdoor tennis 

The protocols remain the same but as advised socialising before and after tennis is prohibited except with members of the same household.



Regrettably this means that effectively it is no longer possible to play tennis in the dome unless you are being coached by Greg or all players are members of the same household.


Payments in advance 

All booking fees will be refunded to members who are unable to play in the dome and have pre-paid. Further details of how this will be done will follow once we have decided how best to proceed. 


Covid 19 – Further Update/Clarification

Yesterday evening the Government announced a new three-tier system of restrictions to combat the spread of coronavirus.  From this Wednesday, every area of England will be classified as being on medium, high or very high alert – tiers one, two and three.  The Fylde, has been announced as being in tier two.

As far as we are aware this does not affect our ability to play tennis either outside or in the Dome according to the protocols now in place, but we await confirmation from the LTA.

However it is now mandatory that as from Wednesday it will no longer be permissible for a person to socialise with anybody outside of their household or support bubble in the Clubhouse.

In other words a group of 4 people from different households would have to sit at 4 socially distanced separate tables.

It will however be possible to socialise in a group of up to six from different households outside provided that social distancing is in place.

No doubt there will shortly be an update regarding how the bar will function over the coming weeks.

Covid 19 – Update

We now have a legal obligation to keep records of those who play tennis inside the Dome.

To facilitate this we would ask that all members download the NHS Track and Trace app on their phone and use it to scan the posters showing our unique code which can be found on the outside and interior of the revolving doors leading to the Dome.

If you do not have the app then we have provided a Register inside the Dome and you must complete the necessary details as soon as you enter the Dome.

Greg will be maintaining a record of all Junior coaching.

Please note that scanning the poster for the Dome is additional to that required when entering the Clubhouse.

All previous notices regarding the numbers allowed in the Dome, social distancing, sanitising and hand washing remain in force.

Please help us all to stay safe by complying with this legal requirement.


LTC Committee

Covid 19 Update

Following the latest Government guidelines it is now an opportune time to update everyone as to how tennis can be played in a safe environment and the protocols in place at the Club.

The latest regulation regarding not meeting in groups of more than 6 does have a slight effect on Tennis although we are still permitted to play indoors or outdoors on adjacent courts and take part in organised competitions.

What is not allowed however is informal tennis when more than 6 members may turn up and mix-in on an ad hoc basis.

For this reason tennis should only be played in pre-arranged matches and we will continue to operate the protocol that play should start on the hour and last for only one hour – the exception being indoor tennis when the slots are booked and will last for 90 minutes in the evenings.

It is easy to be complacent or indeed forget about the dangers of the virus when engaged in playing tennis with friends but we do ask that everyone remains vigilant, maintains social distancing, wash their hands and sanitise on a regular basis.

Sadly the sanitiser put out for members’ use by the token boxes and pavilion entrance has been stolen. Next week we will be installing CCTV around the courts and we will put out more sanitiser in the knowledge that if thieves strike again then their pathetic acts will be on record.

LTC Committee


Booking the Dome

Update ( 18th September 2020 )

  • ClubSpark ( chosen booking system ) is ready for use by Senior and Daytime Members.
  • Invite-Emails have been sent, please Contact Us if you did not get an invite.


The Committee have agreed that for a trial period senior and daytime members will be allowed to block book the Dome in accordance with the daily slots available for a 12 week period commencing Monday 28th September and finishing on Sunday 19th December. A review as to whether to continue the arrangement will be made in November.

Only one block booking per person will be allowed and the whole booking fee must be paid up front. £60 if booking 12 x 1/2 hour slots, £120 if booking 12 x 1 hour slots or £180 if booking 12 x 1.5 hour slots.

Please note that block bookings are available during the day from 10.00  in 30 minute slots with a maximum of 3 slots allowed but from 17.30 the courts can only be booked for 3 fixed slots from 17.30 to 19.00 – 19.00 to 20.30 and 20.30 to 22.00.

To start with we need to know which, if any, sessions you would like to book so that in the event that there is a clash we can decide who gets the slot – initially by mutual consent but then by draw. For this reason you might wish to indicate an acceptable alternative day or time.

The closing date for indicating your block booking preference will be Sunday 29th August and hopefully the process will be completed by the following weekend.

This is something new for everyone which is why we are having a trial to start with but if successful it is the intention to continue in the New Year with those who have block booked having preference to rebook the same times. However in order to accommodate new members the whole process will then be repeated each Autumn.

If you wish to block book a court then please advise your name and the day and time slots which you wish to book and an alternative, if you have one, to by 29th August. Only email applications will be considered.

Regards – the Committee


Covid-19 Update

The LTA have updated the guidelines for tennis venues in line with Government advice and as always the full guidelines can be viewed on the LTA website which we would encourage all members to visit and read.

Some of the major changes are listed below.



Anyone attending a venue (including players, coaches, staff and any other visitors), should undergo a pre-attendance self-assessment for any COVID19 symptoms using the information on the NHS website before leaving home.

No-one should leave home to participate in tennis if they, or someone they live with, has symptoms of COVID -19, currently recognised as any of the following: – A high temperature – A new, continuous cough – A loss of, or change to, their sense of smell or taste 

Should an individual have demonstrated any such symptoms, they must follow NHS and PHE guidance on self-isolation.


If someone who has played at the Club and develops symptoms of COVID-19, they should follow the Government’s Test and Trace guidelines, which can be read on the website

To support NHS Test and Trace, the club are now being asked to keep a temporary record of all those on site for 21 days, in a way that is manageable, and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed.

This is something which we are looking at but it is going to be a very difficult thing to implement.

Therefore at this stage we ask that all members keep a record of their own of the dates and times that they visit the Club to play tennis.


This is really important


The LTA have indicated that it is now possible to organise these provided that all the guidelines regarding social distancing etc are followed. The Committee will be looking at this aspect of Club play over the next few weeks but at present we do not consider it possible without stringent controls.


From 25 July it should be possible to re-open the tennis pavilion and ladies toilets subject to limitations as to the numbers allowed inside at any one time and also a satisfactory cleaning regime. This will be looked at over the next few weeks.


We are obliged to mention to all our members that whilst playing tennis is permitted within the guidelines laid down, interaction with others does have the potential to increase the risk of catching coronavirus and all should be aware of their own personal responsibility to ensure that they and fellow members of the Club remain safe.