In addition to the Open Tournament each year the club also runs a handicap version. The event is open to all members including juniors.
The tournament features men and ladies singles, men and ladies doubles and mixed doubles and each round is played over the best of three sets.
Members are paired randomly for the doubles matches by the men and ladies captain and vice-captains who also do their best to select a handicap for each player or pairing to make for a fair competition.
The finals for each category normally take place at the end of August or early September.
Rules and Guidelines for Play
- Deadlines for each round must be adhered to for fairness to others and to ensure all matches are completed by Finals Day.
- If a match is not played by the deadline then both pairs or individuals will be withdrawn from the competition SEE FOOTNOTE.
- It is the responsibility of both pairs/players for making the arrangements to play the match. Contact details for all players can be found on the website..lythamtennisclub.com/members
- Please organise your matches early to minimise the effects of adverse weather or holidays.
- All participants should be available to take part in the Finals Day to be announced.
- Play is the best of 3 sets (no tie breaks).
- This remains a fun tournament and is to be played in that spirit!
Understanding the Handicap
Handicaps of -0.3 mean a minus point ON ALTERNATE ODD GAMES.
Handicaps of +0.3 mean a plus point ON ALTERNATE EVEN GAMES. e.g. So, a handicap of -15.3 verses +15.3 would be -30 verses +15 in odd games of each set (e.g. 1st, 3rd and 5thetc.) and -15 verses +30 in the even games of each set (e.g.2nd and 4th etc.).
Where opponents both have a positive handicap or both a negative handicap, the handicaps can be netted down e.g. Player A on -15 plays Player B on -30 then the match is played with Player A on scratch and Player B on -15.
If one player has a positive handicap and the opponent has a negative handicap the original handicaps must apply unchanged.
The above takes some thought but if you are unsure about anything please do not hesitate to ask the Mens and Ladies Captains.
Remember to have fun!
Please note there has been a very high entry this year, which means a lot of matches need to be organised. Please make sure you have a result on the handicap sheets (even if you have to toss a coin), by the date your match should have been played in order to allow the tournament to progress smoothly.
FAILURE TO HAVE A RESULT BY THE DUE DATE WILL LEAD TO BOTH PARTIES BEING DISQUALIFIED and WITHDRAWN FROM THE COMPETITION